Chapter 4, like chapter three, follows students on their educational journey, but the focus here is not so much the underlying theories to which we may find parallels, but the reality of how we have to let the process unfold without the frustrations that may occur when our preconceived ideas of how things will flow does not happen. To look at "what happens", not the right or wrong.
A recurring theme, that I know I have experienced upon the intiation of this program, (as well a personally), are the transitions in life that motivate an individual, and in turn, can spark some level of fear, or trepidaton. Being aware of this fear in mentoring positions, especially in the beginning of the learning process, is important in reference to the students having defensive mechanisms. Often times, just the act of being present for the student is the best intervention. And at other times, knowing when to suport or challenge. (sounds like parenting to me:).
The critical reason for the need to know the "whole lives of our students", is so meaningful connectons can be made. As I student, I ask myself, how do I participate in that dialogue to assist the instructor towards better understanding? Also, I feel I am very much aware of my life circumstances in relation to what I am learning and how I am learning.
The end of the chapter has "guiding principles" that I find compelling as I review them in reference to my educational journey.
1. Engender trust
2. See the student's movement
3. Give the student a voice
4 . Introduce conflict
5. Emphasize positive movement
6. Keep an eye on the relationship
I found it interesting that one of the "guiding principles" were to introduce conflict. However, this is a fabulous statement. Too often, instructors will teach students in a way that only describes or prepares for normal situations. However, when conflict is introduced, it is a great way for the students to learn and solve issues with the guidance and/or feedback from their instructor and fellow classmates. This, I feel prepares students more for the real world.
ReplyDeleteJulie
I think that I may have to read this book. These ideas are somewhat surprising to me, or perhaps I should say they are clever. I am surprised by that cleverness.
ReplyDeleteI especially like the guideline to emphasize positive movement. So often, what we expect is not what we get and we see this a failure. A gifted mentor will help an individual to look a situation from the perspective of growth, not success or failure. Everything is a success if you learn from it, in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteWhat I enjoyed about this chapter was that I realized that all of the hard decisions, stressing, and excitement, is experienced by everyone. We all go through these hardships. The unsettling first steps, are just that.
ReplyDelete" let the process unfold without the frustrations that may occur when our preconceived ideas of how things will flow does not happen" - well stated! This really struck me as I read this chapter as well! I love how you relate this to parenting too! That puts a whole new picture in my mind - the guiding and the letting go, over and over again.
ReplyDelete