Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mentor: Chapter 5

This chapter discusses growth, again in reference to some theorists, which I found gave even MORE understanding to the theories. There were a few statements made that I would like to present, though I think what was truly the underlying message for me is that growth is not just a "quantitative increase" but also qualitative, with "adaptation and accomodation to the shifting environment".

As a teacher, these quotes have me give thought to our role.

"Growth involves the simultaneous interplay of both assimilation and accomodation as the organism adpats to its shifting environment".

"Growth is fundamentaly seated in the sense of basic trust".

"What we hear from our students depends on what we have asked".

"Growth in our species is an enormously complex matter, best observed through many lenses".

"Growth can be understood as a series of transformations and in how we make meaning"

What resonates for me in this chapter as I move through this program is my continued "pull" towards transformation, which for me, really is the constant thread through the learning process. The "making new meanings". Having that tension, opposing view, critical event, fear, shifts in perspective, contradiction, which alows us to understand that we, or our "students are moving ahead even when they appear to be retreating of going hopelessly astray". That growth can be that seemingly movement backwards or sideways!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am continually amazed at the transformations that we are undergoing, also. It is fascinating to see all of these different perspectives on learning and growth and I really love the idea that we never cease our progress and development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially like the quotation: "What we hear from our students depends largely on what we have asked." I think this relates to content and to compassion. As for content, I think it emphasizes the importance of questioning strategies, i.e. the Socratic method. As for compassion, I think it shows that teachers should mean what they say. If they are going to ask a student, "How's it going?" Then, listen for the answer. Better yet: ask something more specific that shows a genuine interest in the student's life.

    ReplyDelete