I found chapter three to be VERY fruitful as it follows three individuals at various life stages, taking you through the dialogue with the mentor in relationship to various developmental theorists. As each person questions their lives, there becomes a richness to the learning process. This resonated with me, especially as the text asks, "What is education for?", and how Dewey suggests that education should be measured by,"the extent in which it creates a desire for continued growth". Currently I am not in a teaching/facilitating position and this chapter has assisted in "rebalancing" myself as not to be so focused on the countdown of the program and what I am going to do.
I appreciated the analogy used in this chapter of a map, and what we choose to go onto the map "depends on what we wish to know". With our personal options we have the developmental theories that offer context and suggest directions, but "leaves the walking to us".
Just as mentors assist the individual in making connections and meaning through discovery, I found this chapter allowed me to truly grasp how the intertwining of theories can do the same for the mentor.
I love developmental stories.
ReplyDeleteNo matter if they are personal in nature, or educational, I am fascinated by the process people go through as they grow.
I like your comment about "rebalancing." I have that because I am not teaching right now, too, I can focus more on the journey and not so much on the destination. This isn't always true. Sometimes I get a little too goal-oriented, but generally, this sabbatical has allowed me to enjoy the actual process of learning more.
ReplyDelete